Modern Ways To Style Capri and Cropped Pants
Let’s talk about capri pants today. Are they still in style? The answer is that they absolutely are for the women who love them and the many brands who make them. In addition, they’re hugely popular with many midlife women, so I’m updating this popular post with some styling ideas for how to wear capris and cropped pants over 50.
What’s the difference between capri and cropped pants?
A capri pant is any length between the knee and the ankle with a slim fit. They end in the mid-calf region, which is an unappealing length for most women and can make your legs look thick. Choose capris that don’t end at the broadest part of your calf, or have them altered. Capri’s are more of a challenge for the petite woman because she’s already vertically challenged, and these make her look even shorter.
Straight-leg capri pants are the most modern-looking option and are plentiful this summer. Ignore the name a brand puts on them and look for the silhouette you like. For example, these are called skimmers, but they could also be called clam diggers, crops, or capris. These have a button detail at the hem, which looks best in colors that blend with the fabric. I chose a substantial but lightweight shoe to balance the dark carpi pants.
Cropped pants are more versatile than capris and can be dressed up or down. The cropped pant length is from right below your knee to several inches above your ankle. They can be hemmed to any length that is the most flattering for your leg.
best proportions with Capri and cropped pants
- Unless you’re tall, avoid cuffs of any kind because they visually shorten the leg even more.
- Look for high-rise versions that make the garment look longer, so you look taller.
- No matter the length of your capris, pants, or shorts, they’re most flattering when hemmed at a spot where your leg narrows.
- If your legs are very short, you might reconsider wearing capris. Petite women may find crop and capri pants in the regular sizing are full length on them.
Best footwear for capri and cropped pants
- A wedge or heel looks excellent with both capris and crops.
- Sandals of all types are a good option with crops and capri pants, either flat or with a small heel.
- Avoid ankle straps that visually chop the leg.
- A pale or nude shoe elongates the look of your legs and looks great with both.
- Shoes with a lower vamp expose more of the top of your foot which extends the look of your leg.
Best tops to wear with Capri and cropped pants
Wide leg crop pants look best with a closer fitting top that stops at the waist or high hip. Wearing a shorter top with either will ensure your legs look their longest. Capris can also look great with a looser tunic-length top or cardigan.
Are you a fan of capris or cropped pants?
Thanks for reading, and remember to wear what makes you feel confident.